Many are out this fall hunting and fishing. Are you using a boat to hunt or fish? Please obey all boating laws and follow all safe boating or paddling practices.
Here are a few tips to consider:
- Wear a life jacket at all times while on the water. Have your canine companion wear one as well.
- Never overload your boat (with too many people or too much gear).
- Take extra precautions to avoid falling overboard, capsizing, or swamping. Many accidents occur when an angler or hunter leans over the boat edge or suddenly stands up.
- Be aware of conditions for hypothermia especially if you fall in the water.
- Always check weather before getting underway and assess conditions throughout the day.
- File a float plan with friends and family.
Enjoy and always follow the #1 rule: stay safe.